Jan 13, 2010

Week 1, Jan. 13, 2010



Well, I read chapter 1 last night. It was interesting to me to see the similarities between visual and verbal literacy.

Then, while looking at the quotes from Jerrold Kemp in our textbook (he was my Instructional Technology professor at San Jose State in 1984), I stumbled upon references to choosing fonts for Powerpoint presentations.

This morning, while waiting at a stoplight, I noticed the fonts used on the Walgreens, Historical Society museum, and a local diner. This led to an "aha" moment. The fonts chosen by these businesses subliminally reflected a great deal about their identity. Walgreen's is a friendly, rounded, almost happy looking font, the museum had a font that looked as if it had stepped out of the 1800s, and the diner had a feminine script for the owner's name (Dell) coupled with a regular Times type font saying "Diner."

I have never thought about this before, but I imagine this is what visual literacy is all about.

1 comment:

  1. Good observation Linda. Remember to include the visuals in your posts.

    ReplyDelete